A child grows up to be an adult in the future. What a child learns during his/ her childhood is what they will grow up to be. The childhood period plays a significant role in making the man who will be known to everyone in the world.
They learn and behave with the people around them during their childhood. That needs to be understood and corrected from time to time. The reasons behind the abnormal behavior could have numerous reasons that a child might not be very comfortable discussing with a parent sometimes.
Another problem could be communication. The child probably cannot explain his/ her difficulties or what is bothering him/ her.
A child psychologist plays a vital role in this matter and understands the behavior patterns. They take into account the child’s physical, mental, emotional, and social development to get an accurate diagnosis of what is causing distress to the child. Children think a lot differently than adults.
They are not mature enough to categorize their problems or understand them in the first place. Even the problem that seems trivial to us as adults might be bothering the child in a big way. Various factors influence the child’s behavior towards his/ her peers.
Some of those factors include social pressures, school, issues that arise due to parenting, self-esteem, problems with friends, etc. The way the child is reacting could be due to a single problem or due to a combination of many problems.
Some of the best child psychologists in Bangalore focus on the factors that are considered normal. Then they try to understand and differentiate the normal and abnormal behavior of the child. Most of us, including the parents, only blame the child for not doing homework or eating correctly.
If the child cannot comprehend and write words or letters, we assume he/she is playing around and not being serious about their education. When they do not follow what is told to them or act violently, parents scold or hit their kids, thinking they are disobedient in the name of discipline.
The actual cause of the child’s erratic behavior needs to be understood for them to have a better future.
Some of the symptoms of mental disorders are as follows,
- Refusing to go to school or take part in any activities
- Is always irritated
- Showing aggression and disobeying constantly
- Getting scared for insignificant things
- Have frequent nightmares
- Often complains about pains in the stomach or head region.
- Continually fidgeting with their fingers or tapping their feet.
- Erratic sleep and eating pattern
- Excessively active and does not stay in one place.
- Have a problem communicating with friends and family
- Anti-social behavior like not mingling or playing with other kids
- Problems they face at school, such as low grades, low performance, etc.
- Forgets essential and necessary things
- Causes harm to self or others
Child counseling focuses on studying these erratic behavior patterns and taking the right measures to treat the underlying problem that is causing this behavior. Who better to do that than child counselors. On analysis of the child’s behavior and symptoms, the diagnosis could be any one of the common mental disorders.
For example, anxiety disorders, phobias, panic disorder, illness anxiety disorder, attention-deficit/ hyperactive disorder (ADHD), oppositional defiant disorder (ODD), autism spectrum disorder (ASD), eating disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or learning and communication disorders.
Standard psychotherapy methods are practiced as follows:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT): Here, the child understands, evaluates, and tries to make changes by themselves.
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT): Involves individual therapy and skills development activities regularly for at least six months.
- Emotional Focused Therapy (EFT): This therapy helps deal with emotions by focusing on past relationships.
- Family Therapy: Involves improving the relationship between the parents and the child
- Play Therapy: Therapy is done, creating a safe environment for the child to play and express their feelings to develop social skills and solve emotional problems.
- Psychodynamic therapy: Focuses on childhood memories to examine the feelings and understand the abnormal behaviors. By addressing any childhood trauma, the child might have faced; the treatment helps improve the resilience, self- awareness, and adaptability of the child.
A child psychologist in Bangalore is highly specialized in treating children of all ages, including toddlers, preschoolers, teens, and adolescents. We also give parents counseling to cope with their kid’s illnesses and know how to treat them.
If you are focused on helping your child, get in touch with an efficient child psychologist and support them in this challenging phase of their life.