Guide to ITIL Certifications and Tips for Exam Success
The Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) certification is the leading body for handling IT service delivery across the globe. By using the ITIL framework, you can follow a specific lifecycle prototype that requires you to perform specific tasks regarding the creation, delivery, and management of IT-related activities, system administration, and networking.
Once you start the following ITIL service lifecycle, you get the surety that you are offering the best services to your clients that will ultimately result in the growth of your business.
By following the ITIL service lifecycle, not only can you provide maximum client gratification through better quality delivery service, but you can also save a lot of money that is spent on service enhancement as well as its execution. Through this certification, you can also get the confidence to customize and upgrade your services according to the evolving needs of the industry.
What Is ITIL Service Lifecycle?
Some specific rules, policies, and functions are specially designed for each phase of the ITIL service lifecycle.
The ITIL service lifecycle has the following 5 phases:
This is the first phase of the ITIL service cycle. It mainly deals with creating different strategies to get maximum benefits from the services offered to the clients. In this phase, you can also work on various plans to improve the quality of your services. You will also have to make sure that your services are in line with the rules and regulations of the government.
In this phase of the ITIL service cycle, you can plan and create new services for your organization. You can also evaluate the quality of the existing services and make any changes or corrections to improve its quality.
In the third phase of the ITIL service cycle, you can evaluate and check the quality of the new services created.
Once you have developed and checked the quality of your services, you can now develop different methods for managing your services. It deals with service functioning procedures like risk management, access handling, and helpdesk assistance.
Continuous Service Improvement
In this phase, you get to check and evaluate that of all the phases of the ITIL service cycle were correctly followed. You also need to check whether or not the quality level of services was maintained and develop strategies for further improvements.
ITIL offers the following certification levels:
ITIL Foundation certification
ITIL Foundation certification is the stepping stone for qualifying for more advanced level ITIL certifications. You can learn the fundamental concepts of ITIL framework. If you have no prior knowledge in ITIL operations, you can still apply for this certification as there are no prerequisites for opting for it.
Unlike the ITIL Foundation certification where you only get to learn the concepts of ITIL, here in ITIL Practitioner certification, you will be able to learn how to implement the ITIL concepts practically. However, you will first have to clear the ITIL foundation test to qualify for this exam. You will learn how to develop strategies to improve the quality of your organization’s services.
The ITIL Intermediate certification consists of several modules covering various concepts of service management. These modules are further divided into the following:
- Service Lifecycle
- Service Capability
- The Service Lifecycle has the following modules:
- ITIL SS (Service Strategy)
- ITIL SD (Service Design)ITIL
- ITIL ST (Service Transition)
- ITIL SO (Service Operation)
- ITIL CSI (Continual Service Improvement)
- Service Capability has the following modules:
- ITIL OSA (Operational Support and Analysis)
- ITIL PPO (Planning, Protection, and Optimization)
- ITIL RCV (Release, Control, and Validation)
- ITIL SOA (Service Offerings and Agreements)
This certification is an expert level certification that covers the entire ITIL procedures and operations. As a prerequisite, you are required to score a minimum of 17 credits from the previous three modules as well as clear the Managing across the Lifecycle (MALC) test, obtaining 22 credit points overall.
This is a professional level certification that will give you the expertise and confidence to implement the ITIL functions practically. ITIL deals with all the topics covered in previous modules of ITIL certification. As a prerequisite, you will need to clear the ITIL expert certification to qualify for this exam. You will also need to have a minimum of five years of professional knowledge to perform managerial tasks in an ITIL environment.
Tips for Exam Success
Following are some useful tips and tricks that can help you to prepare for an ITIL certification test:
- ITIL exams cover all the topics that are provided in the official ITIL curriculum. Make sure to carefully study the entire curriculum and prepare for all ITIL topics mentioned in it. This will give you the confidence that you are fully prepared for the test.
- Self-study is usually considered as an ideal option. However, more often than not, candidates who appear for the exam by preparing through self-study do not manage to clear the exams. That is why it is advisable to enroll in some classes and get a clear understanding of ITIL certification concepts and fundamentals. It is extremely important that the resources which you use to prepare for the test are authentic and reliable. If you feel the need, you should definitely consider taking up some classes for getting appropriate training.
- For clearing the ITIL exams, it is extremely important that you are familiar with the basic terminology used in ITIL. You can download the ITIL Glossary online, and it is free.
- You can also search online for sample tests and practice exam questions to get an idea for the test. You will get an idea of the exam pattern and will be able to perform better. Most of the times you can download the practice questions for free and save it on your computer to study later.
- Once you have completed your exam, it is recommended that you revise your work at least once if not twice, before handing in your answer sheet. Do not be too hasty in handing over your answers and leaving your examination hall.
- Another great way to prepare for the ITIL exam is to make study notes from books. You can even highlight the important points and revise them later.ITIL exams can be cleared easily if you have good memorizing skills.
- Try not to take too much stress during the exam. As anxiety and tension can lead to an inability to think clearly and recall, resulting in unsatisfactory performance. Do not be too hasty in answering questions. Ponder carefully upon the requirement of each question.
Through ITIL certifications you will be able to perform efficient service maintenance and reformation. It will help you to provide profitable and better IT related services to your organization’s clients.